I’m going to start a “10 Raw Snacks on the Go” series here on the blog! I recieved several emails from people telling me that they reach for unhealthy foods (or even skip eating) at work or school because they get so caught up in what they are doing. So, I will be posting different recipes every few days to help you find an easy raw snack to curb any hungry or craving with peace of mind. You are responsible for your own health and no one else knows what kind of food habits fit your lifestyle. It is imperative that you take control and are well prepared everywhere you go. Otherwise, those vending machines in your break-room or cafeteria can seem like your only solutions aside from ignoring your body when it tells you to eat something. I’ve notice that people are are very busy during the day skip meals all together on a regular basis. Not only is this dangerous your health but it programs your mind into thinking you’re in starvation mode so when your next meal DOES come, you end up bingeing. MAKE time for yourself to fuel your body properly. We consume food because it is our energy that allows our body to function at every single thing it does on a cellular level.
Today I’m going to share with your these insanely delicious orange munchkins that are so easy, you might be making them more than once a week. We devoured these in my household in less than an a day. As I’m typing this I’m thinking about making them again for tomorrow The orange zest really gives these munchkins a nice burst of flavor. Trust me, you can’t just have one of these. They are addicting and perfect to snack on when you’re busy. Great to pack in hard container for your child’s lunch too! They won’t even know they are eating a vegetable for a savory treat. In addition to being sweet and crunchy, carrots are loaded with Vitamin A which helps improve eyesight. Just one carrot contains around 204% of the daily recommend value! Carrots also contain a good amount of Vitamin C, which is a well known immune system booster, and Vitamin K, which keeps your bones strong. Carrots are also full of dietary fiber, so feel good knowing they will help your digestion and even reduce your blood pressure! Are you ready for the recipe? Here you go!
**** UPDATE*** I ended up creating over 25 “Raw Snacks to Go” which will now be put into an E-Book! I am hoping the book will be out to purchase at the end of March! Thank you all for the love and support!!
Yields 16 Orange Munchkins
- 4 Large Carrots (chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Dried Mangos (about 5-6 mango slices, soaked for 20 minutes)
- 1/2 Cup Dried Mulberries
- 1 Cup Pitted Dates
- 1 Teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Raisins (soaked for for 20 minutes)
- Low-Fat Shredded Coconut for Rolling
- Add the chopped carrots in a food processor and blend until a medium/fine crumble. Place into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add the soaked mangos and process until broken up in small pieces hen add the mulberries and process until everything is well mixed.
- Next add the dates and orange zest until a dough like mixture forms.
- Add back in the carrots and add the cinnamon and process until blend evenly (you may need to scrap the sides down a couple times)
- Place into a bowl and mix in the raisins.
- Pour the shredded coconut on a plate for rolling.
- Next form the mixture into 1” round munchkins and rolled in the coconut. You can eat these right away, put them in the fridge or the freezer for later, which ever you prefer! Enjoy! Xx